Being a Comforter to my Family

Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing. 
1 Thessalonians 5:11

Being a mom has been one of the biggest blessings I can ever ask for. I find so much joy and happiness being a mom and caregiver of my family. But being a mom has also been one of the hardest things as well. 

When our son was 2 he had to have his tonsils and adenoids taken out. Its a common procedure that lots of children go through including myself when I was small. 

On the day of surgery my husband and I took our son Owen to the hospital early in the morning after our daughters had gotten on the school bus. When we arrived at the hospital we we're met by the best nurses who we're comforting and pleasant. The room we we're taken to was dressed with a "cowboy" pillow case and a cute little stuffed animal for Owen to feel special. 

He was given some oral medication to help calm his nerves and help him to feel less anxious. Little did we know it would make him the funniest little boy we had ever seen, giggling like crazy and making us all smile. After the nurse took him back for surgery we waited for the surgery to be done and then met him back in his room 45 minutes later.  I knew he wouldn't feel well when he woke up but I was unprepared for how angry and mad he would be coming out of the sedation. 

Parenting seems so similar to how Owen went from extreme happiness and joy before surgery to pure frustration, confusion and anger after surgery. I sat by my son's side in both circumstances to provide comfort and love just like God sits beside us through life's ups and downs. 
And in that, I take comfort! 

Father God, I choose today to quiet myself so that I can hear your little promptings. Show me ways I can bless others, including my children, through doing their laundry, fixing their meals, cleaning up after them and reminding them to bathe and do their chores. Instead of feeling unappreciated, may I feel the sense of being a blessing and comforter to those I love. 
-Amen
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Follow on Bloglovin